With over two decades restoring only steering wheels, Gary has carefully selected and uses the finest materials available. He has developed and perfected a process that imparts exceptional durability, excellent color coverage, and extremely high chip- and chemical resistance to each steering wheel. Each wheel receives the same painstaking care described below in his six-step refurbishing process.
- All cracks are first fixed with an acrylic plastic and then the wheel is hand-sanded to its original shape and inspected.
- Next, the wheel receives three coats of a primer surface sealer. It is again inspected for any nicks or scratches, and receives a second hand-sanding.
- The wheel then receives four coats of sealer for color holdout.
- Next, the wheel receives four coats of acrylic urethane to restore the original color or to give it the color of your choice.
- After eight hours, the wheel is color-sanded and then dried for a minimum of five days.
- The wheel is then hand-buffed and polished. Following that step, it is packed for shipping and returned to you by UPS.
Special Note: For wood grain wheels, the cracks are repaired, regrained, colortoned, and then finished with three coats of clear urethane.